Unread postPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 5:23 pm 
Nu
Nu

Yes or no, feel free to expound or not.

Unread postPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 5:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mood: Cool

well hmmmmm since my parents are deceased thats kind of hard to answer, but I will say that in their retirement years, which I am in now, I am living better off than they were. They were paying off a mortgage in their early retirement years while we finished our mortgage in our early retirement years.... we all have/had health issues that seem to abound with age, we all had decent health insurance, grown children with not too many problems but some now and then, like everyone else....but it does cost a lot more today, and those retirements dont always grow, not too many pay raises...

I think the technology and medical stuff is better today than it was for my parents....my parents grew up during the great Depression, I think we are all better of than that time...

I am grateful I am not raising children today.... I am concerned about grandchildren though and how they will manage in the world as it is today, but then again I imagine our grandparents thought the same thing..... :D

Unread postPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 5:51 pm 
Nu
Nu

mom wrote:
well hmmmmm since my parents are deceased thats kind of hard to answer, but I will say that in their retirement years, which I am in now, I am living better off than they were. They were paying off a mortgage in their early retirement years while we finished our mortgage in our early retirement years.... we all have/had health issues that seem to abound with age, we all had decent health insurance, grown children with not too many problems but some now and then, like everyone else....but it does cost a lot more today, and those retirements dont always grow, not too many pay raises...

I think the technology and medical stuff is better today than it was for my parents....my parents grew up during the great Depression, I think we are all better of than that time...

I am grateful I am not raising children today.... I am concerned about grandchildren though and how they will manage in the world as it is today, but then again I imagine our grandparents thought the same thing..... :D

How about relationship wise?

Unread postPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 5:52 pm 

Gotta agree with Mom, the question itself is subjective and dependent on the era one lives in, back in the day my mom wore a poodle skirt and did the twist and was as happy as can be. While I don't dance I have fun in other ways.

I'm not certain the two lifestyles can even be compared. :-? :-??

Unread postPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 6:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mood: Tired

It's a very tough question. My mom died from cancer at 50, I have already out lived her.
She and my dad fought like cats and dogs though out my life time and she finally left him, but but got sick shortly after and she let him come back to help her. She only made it a year before she was gone. :(
So, I am healthy as far as I know, and I am older than she was when she died. I am living with someone for 30 years but we did not get married. I think my parents lived together for less than 30 years. We have fought a lot but we have had lots of fun too. I think my parents fought more than had fun. Obviously, my parents had kids, me and my sister, but truthfully, it was very hard growing up with my dad, he had a brutal temper. That is part of the reason why I do not have any kids. My parents might have been better off without kids but that is not the way things were done back then.
So am I better off than my parents, I'm thinking yes even though I think times are harder now.

Unread postPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 6:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mood: Cool

Bewitched wrote:
mom wrote:

I believe they had a good relationship, as relationships go..... they had been married for 39 years when my mom passed away, my father never remarried, and on his death bed one of the things he would talk about was seeing her again.....

Unread postPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 7:16 pm 
Nu
Nu

I believe they had a good relationship, as relationships go..... they had been married for 39 years when my mom passed away,
my father never remarried, and on his death bed one of the things he would talk about was seeing her again.....[/quote]

Sounds very romantic to me.