It is currently January 23rd, 2018, 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Unread postPosted: September 21st, 2012, 1:14 am 
Beta
Beta

(I put this under Psychology b/c it's technically about the psychological makeup of women...)

http://news.yahoo.com/women-dont-speak-173332359.html

Here's the article if you don't want to click on it:
Quote:
Women who are outnumbered by men in a group are less likely to speak their mind. In fact, new research has found that women speak 75 percent less than men when in such a setting.

To prove this, Chris Karpowitz, the lead study author and a political scientist at Brigham Young University, and Tali Mendelberg, study co-author and a professor at Princeton, observed how groups discussed how to distribute money earned from a hypothetical task. The researchers had participants vote by secret ballot with half the groups following a majority vote and the other half following a unanimous vote.

"Women have something unique and important to add to the group, and that's being lost at least under some circumstances," Karpowitz said. "When women participated more, they brought unique and helpful perspectives to the issue under discussion. We’re not just losing the voice of someone who would say the same things as everybody else in the conversation."

When voting by majority decision, women deferred speaking if outnumbered by men in a group. However, when voting unanimously, the researchers found that women were much more vocal , suggesting that consensus building was empowering for outnumbered women. The researchers also found that groups arrived at different decisions when women did participate. These findings, however, are not simply limited to business settings.

"In school boards, governing boards of organizations and firms, and legislative committees, women are often a minority of members and the group uses majority rule to make its decisions," Mendelberg said. "These settings will produce a dramatic inequality in women's floor time and in many other ways. Women are less likely to be viewed and to view themselves as influential in the group and to feel that their 'voice is heard.'"

The research was published by American Political Science Review, an academic journal specializing in political science. The researchers observed 94 groups of at least five people.

First of all, I don't think my genes got this memo lol. :)

I HAVE seen this in action though. In one instance a group of us (women) had talked about office politics and policies and had our opinions and things we thought should/should not be done. It wasn't about emotion or "girly" things. It was legitimately good and solid ideas. But, once the meeting got started, we were outnumbered by men and the people HOLDING the meeting were men. I DID speak up but none of the others would stand behind me or even acknowledge the fact that we had talked.

Do you (women) find yourself to back down when outnumbered?

I think it's a disheartening study. Women have come so far and there's no sense in backing down just b/c you're outnumbered by men. Whether or not you'll actually be heard and taken seriously, at least use your voice!!

Unread postPosted: September 21st, 2012, 1:43 am 

Maybe they're afraid of making fools out of themselves. :-??

Unread postPosted: September 21st, 2012, 1:47 am 
Beta
Beta

That's what I think. I think a lot of women get intimidated by men and being surrounded by them forces them to back down and be all demur. I grew up with Chad though. There's no backing down for me. lol

Unread postPosted: September 21st, 2012, 5:39 am 
Omicron
Omicron

Mood: Tired

I think they feel frustrated not frightened when they are the extreme minority. When the field is levelled some they don't feel their voice will go unheard so they speak up and look forward. We still live in a world that is very man and women and only in the bedroom shall the twain ever meet. ♂♀∞

Unread postPosted: September 21st, 2012, 11:49 am 

ChiChi wrote:
I think they feel frustrated not frightened when they are the extreme minority. When the field is levelled some they don't feel their voice will go unheard so they speak up and look forward. We still live in a world that is very man and women and only in the bedroom shall the twain ever meet. ♂♀∞

Oh, I don't know about that. I'll meet 'em in the kitchen, on the couch, or in the hallway... Just about anywhere. :ymdevil:

Unread postPosted: September 21st, 2012, 12:06 pm 
Omega
Omega

Mood: Happy

SmokinJoe wrote:
ChiChi wrote:

Oh, I don't know about that. I'll meet 'em in the kitchen, on the couch, or in the hallway... Just about anywhere. :ymdevil:

Watch It SJ_ I got your Number"" :D :D

I consider Myself equal to men In alot of fields_ politics included_ others like automotive_ ETC. i will be the first one to say _ help- However_ the same goes for men _ when they Are out of their fields IMO_

Smile:: It makes people wonder what you have been up to ""

Unread postPosted: September 21st, 2012, 1:09 pm 
Beta
Beta

LOL SJ.

I don't think that men and women are equal in every single way. But I think if a woman wants her voice heard or wants to get ahead in life she has to speak up. Why feel intimidated? I'm sorry but I have yet to meet a man (or woman for that matter) who's better than I am -- he's still a human being just like I am. I think we COULD be a lot further in the "equality" thing if more women would just speak up. A lot of men WON'T listen to you and won't let you have your say, but we are our own worst enemies I think.

Besides. That's what frying pans are for. (When someone won't let you have your say you whop 'em upside the head with it.)

For this message the author LizzieBelle82 has received thanks: mom
  Rating: 9.09%
Unread postPosted: September 21st, 2012, 1:50 pm 

LizzieBelle82 wrote:
Besides. That's what frying pans are for. (When someone won't let you have your say you whop 'em upside the head with it.)

Hmm, sounds like spousal abuse to me. :-s

Unread postPosted: September 21st, 2012, 1:55 pm 
Beta
Beta

Who said anything about a husband? Why marry the pig when you can get the sausage for free??

Unread postPosted: September 21st, 2012, 2:20 pm 

Haven't heard that one yet. =)) =)) =))

Unread postPosted: September 21st, 2012, 2:49 pm 
Beta
Beta

lol

Unread postPosted: September 21st, 2012, 3:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mood: Cool

I totally get that, its an interesting study though Lizzie....I think we do it for different reasons, some of them being assumptions, the men will stick together even if the woman has a great idea, men dont like to be "shown up" by a woman.... society has a lot of work to do :(

Unread postPosted: September 21st, 2012, 6:14 pm 
Beta
Beta

I agree mom. And I think that the less we use our voices as women, the less we'll HAVE a voice. We tend to rely on these super strong and abrasive women to speak out for us when it comes to politics and our choices as women and that just pushes men off even more b/c then there's the assumption ALL women would be that way. It's really a fine line, isn't it?