It is currently October 25th, 2014, 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Users browsing this forum: BrandWatch [Crawler] and 1 guest
Unread postPosted: October 24th, 2011, 4:26 pm 
Omega
Omega

Mood: Happy

Response to a lawsuit filed on behalf of a 35-year-old Navy veteran and single father who sought the benefits while finishing his college degree, but refused to take the test.

The judge said there was a good chance plaintiff Luis Lebron would succeed in his challenge to the law based on the Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable searches. The drug test can reveal a host of private medical facts about the individual, Scriven wrote, adding that she found it "troubling" that the drug tests are not kept confidential like medical records. The results can also be shared with law enforcement officers and a drug abuse hotline.

"This potential interception of positive drug tests by law enforcement implicates a `far more substantial' invasion of privacy than in ordinary civil drug testing cases," Scriven said.

The law's proponents include Gov. Rick Scott, who said during his campaign the measure would save $77 million. It's unclear how he arrived at those figures.

"Drug testing welfare recipients is just a common-sense way to ensure that welfare dollars are used to help children and get parents back to work," said Jackie Schutz, a spokeswoman for Scott. "The governor obviously disagrees with the decision and he will evaluate his options regarding when to appeal."

Earlier this year, Scott also ordered drug testing of new state workers and spot checks of existing state employees under him. But testing was suspended after the American Civil Liberties Union also challenged that policy in a separate lawsuit.

Nearly 1,600 applicants have refused to take the test since testing began in mid-July, but they aren't required to say why. Thirty-two applicants failed the test and more than 7,000 have passed, according to the Department of Children and Families. The majority of positives were for marijuana.

Supporters say applicants skipped the test because they knew they would have tested positive for drugs. Applicants must pay $25 to $35 for the test and are reimbursed by the state if they pass. It's unclear if the state has saved money.

Under the Temporary Assistance For Needy Families program, the state gives $180 a month for one person or $364 for a family of four.

Those who test positive for drugs are ineligible for the cash assistance for one year, though passing a drug course can cut that period in half. If they fail a second time, they are ineligible for three years.

Lebron, who is the sole caretaker of his 4-year-old son, said he's "happy that the judge stood up for me and my rights and said the state can't act without a reason or suspicion."

The ACLU says Florida was the first to enact such a law since Michigan tried more than a decade ago. Michigan's random drug testing program for welfare recipients lasted five weeks in 1999 before it was halted by a judge, kicking off a four-year legal battle that ended with an appeals court ruling it unconstitutional.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Smile:: It makes people wonder what you have been up to ""

Unread postPosted: October 24th, 2011, 4:54 pm 
Mu
Mu

Mood: Cool

Those random drug tests are not so random. I found that out a long time ago and it made me angry and I confronted the people about it when I found out. I probably should have made the public aware but I didn't and I still worry about it's abuse.

Don't do that.
Can't you read the signs....?"

For this message the author Lorelei has received thanks: 2 ChiChi, Ze´_Mara...!!!
  Rating: 18.18%
Unread postPosted: October 24th, 2011, 4:57 pm 
Omega
Omega

I will NEVER take a drug test or polygraph test.

Unread postPosted: October 24th, 2011, 5:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

wow, just wow...... dont know whether to be upset or happy about that.... it sure is a confusing thing.... :-?? :-?? :-?? :-??

Unread postPosted: October 24th, 2011, 8:53 pm 

I'm with mom on this one. Being a libertarian, I'm against drug testing, but being a taxpayer getting reamed by wealth redistributors, I don't want my tax money being spent to support some low-life's drug habit.

Unread postPosted: October 24th, 2011, 8:58 pm 
Omega
Omega

SmokinJoe wrote:
I'm with mom on this one. Being a libertarian, I'm against drug testing, but being a taxpayer getting reamed by wealth redistributors, I don't want my tax money being spent to support some low-life's drug habit.

I understand that too, but where do you draw the line as to WHO gets tested, and why? I'm thinking of SO many other reasons that the gubment could find for giving you a test.

Unread postPosted: October 24th, 2011, 8:59 pm 
Omega
Omega

I'm with Lorelei on this one...Random" seldom is.

Unread postPosted: October 24th, 2011, 9:02 pm 
Omega
Omega

russ wrote:
I'm with Lorelei on this one...Random" seldom is.

ED ZACKERLY!

Unread postPosted: October 24th, 2011, 9:03 pm 

BILLYKID wrote:
SmokinJoe wrote:

I understand that too, but where do you draw the line as to WHO gets tested, and why? I'm thinking of SO many other reasons that the gubment could find for giving you a test.

You're right, Billy, but man I'm tired of bending over for these creeps. Why can't there be some middle ground somehow?

Unread postPosted: October 24th, 2011, 9:13 pm 
Mu
Mu

I can GuaRanTeeeeeeee you They Are Not random.

Don't do that.
Can't you read the signs....?"

Unread postPosted: October 25th, 2011, 8:50 am 
Omega
Omega

Without more details on this article its hard to say the situation, other than he collects welfare and goes to school_ and refused to be tested_ maybe More will come out_
I applauded this law Here in Fl. when It was introduced_ we have sooooo many on welfare that could work if they were wanted to_ Those always hurt the ones who Need welfare cause they have NO choice_

Unread postPosted: October 25th, 2011, 9:01 am 
Omega
Omega

Here's my two cents. :D

I am all for someone going to school to better them self, however, My own adult children go to school, work and my daughters have children, and none of them are on welfare. They work hard, take care of their families, and go to school too. Yes, it is taking them longer to get that degree, but they are doing it on their own. There is no reason why other's can not work full time, take care of your family, and go to school all at the same time. Yes it is hard, but it is not a reason to be on welfare.

And I feel everyone who gets aid, should be drug tested, none of this radom carp.

If it is not against someones constitutional rights to be drug tested as a condition of employment, it should not be against someone rights to be drug tested before they receive aid. ;) :D

For this message the author MamaV has received thanks: 2 Lorelei, Ze´_Mara...!!!
  Rating: 18.18%
Unread postPosted: October 25th, 2011, 9:55 am 
Omega
Omega

MamaV wrote:
Here's my two cents. :D

I am all for someone going to school to better them self, however, My own adult children go to school, work and my daughters have children, and none of them are on welfare. They work hard, take care of their families, and go to school too. Yes, it is taking them longer to get that degree, but they are doing it on their own. There is no reason why other's can not work full time, take care of your family, and go to school all at the same time. Yes it is hard, but it is not a reason to be on welfare.

And I feel everyone who gets aid, should be drug tested, none of this radom carp.

If it is not against someones constitutional rights to be drug tested as a condition of employment, it should not be against someone rights to be drug tested before they receive aid. ;) :D

Ditto:: MV- My Dad worked full time and went to Night school after the korean War on a GI Bill_
3 night a week for 7 years Yep SEVEN years_ to gt his Engineers License_ yes it can be done_

For this message the author Glenda has received thanks: Ze´_Mara...!!!
  Rating: 9.09%
Unread postPosted: October 25th, 2011, 10:12 am 
Omega
Omega

A Navy Vet, single father? Why are we even questioning his right for something? He was ready to give the ultimate sacrifice for his country...what the hell is the problem. here? Where is the VA? AWOL, as usual.
All say salute the vets, but here is an example where one is getting beaten up on by the same people who say "Salute them!"

For this message the author russ has received thanks: 3 BILLYKID, Lorelei, Ze´_Mara...!!!
  Rating: 27.27%
Unread postPosted: October 25th, 2011, 10:43 am 
Omega
Omega

Good point russ, Why does this Vet, need welfare in the first place. Why is he not geeting some help through Vet Affairs. ;)

Sorry didn't pick that up, :ymblushing: